The Manasquan First Aid is a 100% volunteer EMS department, serving the communities of Manasquan and Sea Girt since 1929.
It was on July 22, 1929, when only two other volunteer first aid squads were in existence in the United States, that 14 young vigorous Manasquan firemen decided their borough by the sea should join what was to become a growing group of unpaid community emergency units.
Andrew Jackson was the President of the first Manasquan squad. William McKelvey was Secretary; Harry Clayton, Treasurer; and Jack Morris, Captain. Other members were Clint Thompson, Merrill Rankin, Joseph Carlton, John Howarth, Waldo Lansing, William Emmons, Forman Estelle, Carl McHenry, and Oliver Osborn.
The first ambulance to be used by the new squad was a 1929 panel truck which was converted to ambulance use. Jack Morris’s garage, next to the borough hall, was used as the squad’s first headquarters.
The Manasquan First Aid Squad is not only among the first in the country to form, but it is a charter member to the following related organizations; The New Jersey State First Aid Council, the International Rescue and First Aid Association, and the Monmouth County Association of First Aid squads.
Today the squad is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for the communities of Manasquan and Sea Girt. The squad also provides mutual aid assistance to surrounding municipalities as needed.